All Over This Land

Even though we have

the hammer of justice,

the bell of freedom,

and the song about love,

many of us

who marched in the Sixties

still wonder

where all the flowers have gone,

still claim

this land was made for you and me,

still believe

we shall overcome some day…

it’s just taking longer

than we expected.

JDG

This entry was posted in poetry.

8 comments on “All Over This Land

1. jazzytower says:

Love this one too. So full of Hope.

2. Dabney says:

Late signing on today, but glad to join in the celebration of this one. Thanks!

3. cindy knoke says:

Maybe we were naive thinking, ‘this land belongs to you and me.”
    Because, Dumpster-Trumpster, has made it his, now.

Liked by 1 person

4. The original “We shall overcome” song was made into Hindi (Indian national language) a long time ago for local consumption. Well, I’m still waiting, hoping.

5. Margaret Nea says:

Oh, Joan, I love this poem! It is terrific!

I sent your book to my friend Connie and Harriett, both of whom are so enjoying your poetry. Connie says she reads from it every night.

Our nephew is getting married next week end and is having the reception in our old house at Weems. I am in a state of anxiety, as we have been making the back porch into a sunroom, and it is no where near finished. It is called the “Promised Land” here – I promise you and promise you it will be done, only it does not always get done.

Hope all is well with you, my dear friend, love, M

Sent from my iPhone

Liked by 1 person

• Joan says:

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for sending my book to your friends. Margie. It means a lot to me. Keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend and hope the “Promised Land” transforms into “Mission Accomplished”. 🙂

6. Peggy Siegel says: